Tuesday, October 1, 2013

All In

I just finished reading Mark Batterson's new book called All In:  You are One Decision Away From a Totally Different Life.

After opening the book with a story about how missionaries used to pack their coffins when they went to the mission field (!), on page 2, he asks the tough question: "When did we start believing that God wants to send us to safe places to do easy things?...The complete surrender of your life the cause of Christ isn't radical.  It's normal.  It's time to quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death."

He then provides illustrations of how people - Biblical figures as well as ordinary folks - decided to push their chips to the middle of the table, abandon Plan B, and go "all in and all out for the All in All."

It's very hard-hitting, and if I weren't already living in Africa, I'd probably be inspired to do something radical like moving to Africa.  As it were, I'm inspired to make the best of my own radical move.  His definition of success really spoke to me, as I'm redefining my own notion of success here every day:

"Do the best you can with what you have where you are.  That's my definition of success.  It's not based on circumstances.  It's not based on wealth or power or platform.  And it's not based on past experience or future potential.  It's stewarding every opportunity in every way, every day.  Every second of time.  Every ounce of talent.  Every penny of money.  Success is spelled stewardship, and stewardship is spelled success."

He goes on to say that "there is no circumstance in which you cannot glorify God."  That is a bold statement, but a true one.  "Our prayers tend to focus on external circumstances more than internal attitudes because we'd rather have God change our circumstances than change us.  It's a lot easier that way.  But we miss the point altogether.  It's the worst of circumstances that often brings out the best in us.  And if it's the bad things that bring out the good things, then maybe those bad things are good things in the grand scheme of things."  In the middle of my own difficult season, I'm starting to see the truth in this statement.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop quoting this book for now.  Just pick it up (only $5 on Kindle!), read it, and do radical things for Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment