Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Today's Verse and the Scariness of New Things

I have a Bible app installed on my phone.  Usually it gives me little prompts like "Even 5 minutes a day with the Bible can make a huge difference.  Want to try it now?" and I guiltily hit "Not now" - not because I don't want to, but because it's not convenient at that particular moment.

However, this app has also started giving a verse of the day on the home screen of my phone.  I've been struck recently by how appropriate the verse can be for my life circumstances.  Especially today from Isaiah 48:17-18:

"This is what the LORD says - your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
'I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea.'"

The past few weeks for me have been tough.  I've been doubting and questioning.  The adrenaline rush of the newness and the adventure has worn off and I'm left with slogging through a myriad of details and a pile of things that are just not working out.

However, the LORD will direct me in the way I should go.  He's led us this far, and He will lead us through the slogging, the tears, the doubts and yes, the adventure of it all.

This was reinforced by a book I just read by Anne Lamott this week:  (Help. Thanks. Wow.)  This was particularly encouraging to read this week as I was lamenting, "WHY didn't we stay with the status quo??  It's so much easier to just stay where you are."

Her take on new things is as follows:

"If we stay where we are, where we're stuck, where we're comfortable and safe, we die there...If you want to know only what you already know, you're dying.  You're saying:  Leave me alone; I don't mind this little rathole.  It's warm and dry.  Really, it's fine.  When nothing new can get it, that's death.  When oxygen ca't find a way in, you die.  But new is scary, and new can be disappointing and confusing - we had this all figured out, and now we don't." (italics mine).

That perfectly sums up the fears of the last week.  I don't have any of this figured out, but that's OK...God teaches me what is best for me.  As long as I pay attention to His commands, I am good to go.  He promises peace like a river.



3 comments:

  1. Boy, do I get this. Thanks for sharing, Steph. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to pray for you through the ups & downs!!!

    ReplyDelete