Monday, July 15, 2013

The Accidental Missionary

During the first day of our training last week, everyone was asked to share a bit about what lead them to become a missionary. For the most part, the others in the room either had grown up as missionary kids, had served abroad previously as a missionary, or had a deep and lasting passion for missions that was kindled in childhood.

No one said, “Well, I never even really thought about missions until a couple of months ago, and I don't even consider myself a missionary. Actually, I don't even feel worthy of the title of missionary” (I didn't even say it in quite that way, although it's true).

I've caught myself defining what we're doing in Tanzania in different ways to different people. To many people, particularly non- or marginal-believers, I've just been saying the short version, “My husband will be teaching computers in an international school.” Sometimes I even eliminate the adjective “Christian” to describe the school. I feel uncomfortable with the idea of being called a missionary:  the idea conceived in my childhood was that missionaries are just a little lower than pastors in the spiritual hierarchy. People in these positions are incredibly wise, with great discernment and are really just two steps removed from God Himself, right? And there's no way I am there.

The truth that I was reminded of this past week is that we are all missionaries. The Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 says: 
 “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
This command to Go and Make Disciples applies to all of us. To be sure, the majority of us have a mission field right where we already live and work, rather than going halfway around the world (though clearly I feel there are those types of calls, too, as we need to reach “all nations”!) However, there are so many opportunities to show the love of Jesus and to share the news of His love everywhere we go, right where we are. The only thing that's changing on August 13 is that I'm moving from the mission field of northern New Jersey to the mission field of Dar es Salaam.

So while I still feel uncomfortable with the title “missionary,” I'm going to make a real effort to describe myself as such in going forward, particularly to non-Christians who wonder what in the world we're doing. That in itself is the first step of going and making disciples.

1 comment:

  1. Your humility tells me you are using discernment. God bless you on this new journey! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

    Aunt Peg

    ReplyDelete