Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Backstory.

One of the biggest questions we have gotten over the past several days is:  "Why Africa?" and usually a follow-up question of "Why now?"

We don't have a concrete answer to this question except that we believe it to be the leading of the Spirit.  I firmly believe that it's only in this particular set of circumstances and timing that could allow this to happen for our family.  Although the process in making this decision was pretty quick - about a month between seeing the job posting and the official acceptance- preparations were being made in our hearts and minds for the past few years.

Tim, in particular, has had a heart for Africa, which led to his going as a chaperone for two trips to Uganda, in 2011 and just this spring break.  He has always tossed around the idea of living in Africa, but I have always been very reluctant saying things like, "I'd consider Africa but not until the kids are all over the age of 5."  Charlotte was turning 5 right after Tim's first trip to Uganda and so I was mentally bracing myself for the possibility that he would come home and want to move to Africa.  Much to my surprise (and relief!) he came back and said, "No, I don't think that's right for our family at this time."

This time he came back feeling much more open to the idea of a move to Africa.  At the same time, a fellow teacher visited his daughter in Kenya, and said to Tim, unprompted:  "If I had to do it all over, when my kids were your kids' ages, I would move to Africa."

On April 8, I quit my job without the possibility of another one to go to.  The story behind that decision is a very long one but basically it was an emotionally abusive situation that destroyed my self-esteem.  I decided to quit on faith, believing that being unemployed was better than continuing to suffer.  Weeks later, I found a Scripture that perfectly summarized my thinking:  "Better a little with the fear of the LORD than great wealth with turmoil."(Proverbs 15:16).

After I quit, Tim and I had a long conversation about what to do next, the essence of which was, "What we've been trying in the past has not been working.  We are going to open ourselves up to anything God leads us to, no matter how radical or crazy."

The day after our conversation, Tim saw an open posting at Haven of Peace Academy which was for exactly what he was teaching at Eastern Christian.   HOPAC is a member of Christian Schools International, and they post their open positions on the CSI job board.  Tim has seen these in the past and had been following them casually for years, so we knew about the school.  Despite my reservations in the past, this time I felt peace in encouraging him to apply for the position.

Throughout the process, we involved family and close friends.  Not one person expressed any hesitation or doubt.  The only door that closed throughout the entire time was that HOPAC was not receptive to the idea of deferring the job for a year.  So we felt that was a clear sign to go, and now. 

It's crazy to look back at this crooked road and see that it's led us to this exact place at this exact time that allows us to move to Africa!


No comments:

Post a Comment