Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Already but the Not Yet

When I was at Calvin, I took an excellent theology class with Professor Holtrop.  One topic we covered in the class was how various Christian denominations view the end times and how it shapes their worldview. In Reformed theology, he called this "ALREADY...but not yet" (meaning that Christ has ALREADY paid the price on our behalf, yet we are not yet with him in heaven.  We live in a fallen world between the ALREADY and the not yet).

This phrase is pretty appropriate for the "end times" of life as we know it in NJ.  We're at a really weird limbo phase with less than 2 weeks to go.

We've ALREADY packed up a lot of the house, but not yet everything.
We've ALREADY committed to paying rent in Tanzania, yet not yet rented out our house in NJ
We've ALREADY purchased a car in Tanzania, yet not yet sold our car in NJ
We've ALREADY sent out 200 fundraising letters, yet not yet met our fundraising goal
We've ALREADY said goodbye to some friends and places, yet not to others

Please pray for us in this difficult "not yet" transition time.  I keep telling myself that 2 months from now, everything will be settled, the new school year will be in full swing and I'll be in the middle of embracing a new culture...but in the meantime this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, and some days I feel like I'm going to crack under the stress.  The good news is that the battle has ALREADY been won and truly, what else do we really need?

No comments:

Post a Comment