Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What I'm Looking Forward to

Back in May, there were lots of things I was really looking forward to about Tanzania.  Over the ensuing days and weeks, this excitement has gotten buried in the overwhelming details of moving halfway around the world.  However, my kids have maintained their sense of enthusiasm and wonder and I'm going to follow their lead in re-learning to approach this move as a true adventure.

In an attempt to shift my focus from stress and mourning to anticipation, this is what I'm most looking forward to (in no particular order):

New recipes:  Many of you know that over the past 3 years, I faithfully prepared a new recipe every week (although this project has derailed in recent weeks).  I love cooking and trying new things, and I'm sure I'll get plenty of opportunities to fuel my creative chef in Africa.  Although I consider myself a "scratch cook" in the U.S., I rely on many things that simply aren't readily available in Tanzania (canned beans, tomatoes, pasta sauce).  In addition, we'll have an electric stove, so when the power is out we'll have to improvise.  This should definitely be an adventure!  The good news is that I have a HOPAC cookbook, written in both English and Swahili, awaiting me when I get to Dar (thanks, Driesengas!)

Gardening:  I'm not sure how I'll go about doing this but it looks like we've got a big backyard and a hardiness zone of 14 (the maximum).  I think I should be able to grow year-round tomatoes and basil (and maybe even more exotic things)!  Hopefully I'll get some advice from the actual gardener on the property.  My secret wish is to also raise chickens.

Community:  I've already felt the support of people I've never met, and so I'm looking forward to matching names with faces and hearing their stories.  We believe that there is even a board-game community, so Tim should be all set!

New culture:  I am looking forward to all the sights, sounds, and smells of a new place.  I want to dive in and experience it all, hopefully even picking up some Swahili in the process.

International friends:  I can't wait to invite the kids' friends home for dinner and interact with a vast array of cultures.  As Tim has pointed out, although English is the official language at the school, there have to be such an incredible variety of accents with 35 countries represented.

And last but not least:  The Beach.  We're a 5 minute walk from the Indian Ocean and I'll be seeing palm trees.  Yes, I'm a bit afraid of year-round heat and humidity, but it definitely beats shoveling out from a nor'easter in January!

With 6 days to go...bring on the adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment