Monday, March 16, 2015

Blooming in the Dry Season

Last year, the Tanzanians tell me that we had an atypical summer.  We never went a really long time without some kind of rain, and it had already significantly cooled off by this point in the calendar. Long-term HOPACers told me, "You don't know how lucky you are to have this as your first summer here."

Although I was still sweating profusely last year, I can see that apparently they were right.  This year has been incredibly hot - over 90 degrees (plus humidity) every day for over a month straight.  And it has been unbelievably dry.  I can't remember much rain at all since early January besides maybe a couple of two-minute sprinkles.

Everyone is looking forward to this rainy season with anticipation, knowing in the back of our minds that it is going to bring new challenges of flooding and mosquitoes.

But there is one plant that is extremely happy in this hot, dry season:  the bougainvillea (I can spell it, but don't ask me to say it!)  According to Wikipedia, "bougainvilleas grow best in dry soil in very bright full sun...and in fact will not flourish if over-watered."



Everything around it is lifeless, yet it blooms with amazing beauty.



I think there's a lesson in there about thriving despite challenges.  Are we going to be the kind of people who are snuffed out by the tough circumstances of life, or are we going to flower in the midst of hardship?   Will the hard times cause us to dig down deep to blossom or will we wither on the vine?

Personally, I feel that this hot season has caused me to wither.  But I know that the difference between withering and flourishing is the ability to thrive despite our circumstances.  The only way to do this is to stay connected to the Vine  (John 15:5).


"Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."  (2 Corinthians 4:16-17)


No comments:

Post a Comment