Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanks-giving

Right now, most of my U.S. family and friends are sleeping peacefully, dreaming of the turkey, pumpkin pie and fellowship that await them later today.  I'm sitting here sweating profusely at 8 am with a day ahead of me that includes service-learning in the quarry, a trip to the market, and marking grade 11 journals.  In other words, a normal day.

Due to a fluke in the school calendar last year, we had off from school both for Thanksgiving and the day after, and we also had U.S. family visiting, so even though our celebration was far from "traditional," (we went to the beach that morning), it still felt familiar.  This year is really the first time there feels like there is a giant hole in my celebration calendar and I do feel homesick.

Thanksgiving is by far by favorite holiday.  I love it all - the meal planning, food preparation, worship service, watching the Macy's parade on TV, the eating, fellowship, board games, the 4 1/2 day weekend, and even the leftovers.  And we're planning to re-create some of those favorite traditions on Saturday with some of our HOPAC family.  At last count I think we'll have a celebration with 29 of our U.S. friends!

However, as I sit here reflecting on all I miss about home, I'm reminded that the true purpose of this holiday is not all about the food and the family, but rather the action of actually giving thanks.  And I can do that anywhere, anytime, and in any way.  I don't need pumpkin pie to do this.

We've got a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  Among the many things, 4 stand out:
* Health - particularly Josh's recovery from an appendectomy.  Continued protection from malaria, dengue, and serious injury.

* Home - we're in this beautiful home for another year.  I am thankful for it every day.

* Community - we've got an amazing community here and also back home.  We are so thankful for the love, support and prayers we receive!

* School/work - we feel very thankful to be a part of this amazing international school called HOPAC.  There are so many great things that we get to experience.

Wherever you are, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!  And don't forget to really give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment