Monday, September 29, 2014

Approval

Recently I had a huge wake-up call regarding my unhealthy need for others' acceptance and approval.  I have always struggled with wanting to be liked and would readily admit to being a "people-pleaser."  This has certainly ramped up a notch after moving across the world.  Not only do I struggle valiantly to be liked here, but I also struggle to keep others' favor from back home through my blog posts, emails, whatsapp messages and Facebook statuses.

Seeking my worth in the number of social invitations I receive, or by tallying how many people "like" a post is setting myself up for frequent and devastating letdowns.  By doing this, I'm finding myself in the uncomfortable company of the Pharisees, who loved praise from men more than praise from God (John 12:43).  And Jesus asks the devastating question:  "How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes only from God?"  (John 5:45).

The Bible is pretty clear that our purpose in life does not revolve around how many friends we have - either in real life or virtually.  We are called to show love, kindness and compassion to everyone we meet, without expectation of being loved in return.

Matthew 5:46-47 makes this truth abundantly plain:  "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?  Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others?  Do not even pagans do that?"

If our stated purpose is to become more Christlike, we need to take a hard look at the life of Jesus.   Early in his ministry, even his own family denied Him and labeled Him as being "out of his mind!" (Mark 3:21). As He prepared to die, even Jesus' closest companions fell away.  And John 15:18 says, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."

I find it so comforting that our Savior knows first-hand our own pains of rejection and betrayal. He understands our very human need for acceptance and connection and also that this desire can only be filled by Him and not through the world.

So today I'm resting in these lyrics found in the beloved hymn, based on John 15:14, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus:"
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?  Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield thee.  Thou wilt find a solace there.

No comments:

Post a Comment