Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Shikamoo

One of the most important greetings in Tanzanian culture is the one given to your elders. To my American ears, it's pronounced Sheek-a-MOE (though any Tanzanian friends, feel free to correct me!)

This greeting is to be given to anyone older than you, even by just a year or two, anytime you see them. It literally means, “I hold your feet” although it's not necessary to do anything than utter the greeting. It's so important that even babies who cannot yet talk are taught to touch the head of the older person as a greeting of respect.

The appropriate response from the elder is “marahabaa” (mar-a-hah-ba) which means, “I thankfully accept your respect.”

There really is no similar practice in America. Not only is there no official respect given to elders, but in our youth-obsessed, age-denying Western culture, most people don't even want to be considered older or reminded of their age. It still startles me to hear Africans in their 20's or 30's give me the elder greeting, mainly because I'm still that age in my own mind and in America, we would be considered peers. There's definitely something in me that strongly resists being labeled "older."

However, one of the realities that I'm coming to grips with is that here in Dar, “the elder” is usually ME! Life expectancy is a lot shorter for Africans (hunger, disease, hard work) and so there really aren't a lot of older people around. The number of people I've had to “shikamoo” is much fewer than the “marahabaas” that I've given out.

In America we tend to view age as a weakness, not a value. It's culturally acceptable to hide away the older people in nursing homes; generally speaking, our movies, TV, and advertisements feature only young, healthy, beautiful people. If we can't see older people, we can remain in our pursuit of the fountain of youth, and be blissfully ignorant of our own mortality, wrinkling faces and crumbling bodies. Unlike in Africa, reaching old age isn't a rare, honoring accomplishment, but more of an expected yet very unwelcome process for Americans.

Despite the fact that it makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm the older one, I do think that it is a beautiful practice to honor your elders. Leviticus 19:32 says, “Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.” I think there is so much wisdom to be gained from the elderly and I value hearing their stories.


Although I'm not planning on moving into the Holland Home anytime soon, I'll try to keep aging gracefully and “marahabaa” with real appreciation!   

No comments:

Post a Comment