Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thanking God in the dark times

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  (I Thessalonians 5:18)

I find it a lot easier to give thanks in December - in the anticipation of Christmas, through the singing of joyful carols, in the giving and receiving of gifts, with the break from school and work to rest and enjoy.

January is a lot harder for me.  Our family definitely has some post-Christmas letdown:  every morning this week has been a real struggle to get ready for school, and homework and bedtime have been challenging every evening.  After 6 weeks of visitors and fun, we are back to regular old routine and it's difficult to remain thankful and positive.  Every year I also struggle during this month due to the weather, and this year is no exception.  We may not have gray days and frigid temperatures, but we do have oppressive heat with no end in sight.  Just as the chapped lips, dry skin and colds of winter start to wear on me, so do these hot days of summer with the unending sweating and relentless sunshine.

On top of the day-to-day blues, something happened to my wallet yesterday.  I'm still not sure if it was lost or stolen, but on top of losing a chunk of cash, my U.S. driver's license and my ATM card are also gone.  This is a daunting setback even in the U.S., but here on the other side of the world I'm finding it really difficult to regroup.

This morning, we also learned that a grade 11 HOPAC student was struck and killed yesterday at the side of the road while waiting to go to the Wednesday night football match.  I didn't know him but many did and the signs of grief are everywhere on campus.  As a mother, I cannot imagine going through that. Suddenly my little problems don't seem so all-encompassing, but yet I feel bombarded with circumstances which are not inspiring thankfulness.

This verse is challenging and convicting this month as I'm not really sure how to continue to give thanks in all circumstances.   I don't have a lot of direction other than trust, faith and struggle.  We need to decide to be thankful even when we don't want to.  Even when we truly don't feel there is anything to be thankful for, we know deep down that there is.  And expressing thankfulness leads to a more thankful spirit.  Sometimes, as one of my old bosses used to say, "You've gotta fake it till you make it."

In 2013, our family started a "gratitude jar."  Every evening after devotions, we would take turns writing down something on a note card for which we were thankful.  This past week, we then took turns reading those note cards aloud.  It was truly powerful to see the many ways in which we have been blessed, particularly in this monumental year of transition.  We are going to do this again in 2014, and this is one way, at least, in which I can continue to be thankful in all circumstances.

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me." (Psalm 51:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment